I have a Sako Av in 338-06 AI and a MRC actioned 338 WSM. I guess I like them both. I also have a DA 97 in 338-06 std and recently acquired a 338 RCM....that one is cute.

It isn't about being practical it is about getting what you want or something new to try, I don't get to do that with women any more so I guess it's guns.

I have AI'd every caliber and some are better cartridges than the parent from many angles but in certain calibers the standard is too good to mess with. The 6.5-06 and 336-06 are a couple of them. The 338 WSM was the WSM that never was. (Say that fast) and ballistically it is one helluva a nice package but it is a bastard among the forgotten. It is so easy to make brass from 300 or 325 brass and the Redding has dies at about $100 for it, (338-300 WSM), about the same as AI 338-06 dies.

I guess it would depend on the action you're converting. My Sako is unaltered and feeds like a champ. I lost one round in the box to four. It was originally a 270. The WSM needs a WSM action, to convert a 308 or such world take more work I would think.