The Ithaca 37 has always been popular around here as the City of Ithaca, NY was something like 60-70 miles or so from here. Of course the Remingtons were popular also as the City of Illion, NY (where the Remington factory is) wasn't a whole lot further.

The days of "perfect workmanship" "personal pride" and "Company integrity" is a thing of the past. It is too bad, but it is fact. Quality costs money and today everyone wants the best quality for the cheapest price. That doesn't compute. Pick ONE, you can't get both cheaply.
Remingtons quality level has fallen off and it is likely it will not improve a whole lot, nevertheless, the 870 Wingmaster's I have seen,shot and own worked just fine. Personally I don't care for the Express models and again, personally, I wouldn't buy one.
Ithaca's quality took a nose dive soon after they moved to King Ferry, NY. Additionally, the King Ferry plant was using machines that were belt driven in some cases and far older than I am. They just couldn't hold the tolerances as well as newer machines can. I do have a NIB Ithaca Deerslayer II that does exhibit some quality and generally good finishes all over.
I have been to both Remington plants and Ithaca plants many times so I got to actually SEE the tooling and machines.
Now as far as the NEW Ithaca, I have only seen 1 new gun and it was a work of art damn near. Flawless machine work, smooth operating and great wood and woodwork. Of course, this kind of quality goes back to what I said. Quality just ain't cheap. The NEW Ithaca's cost much more than ther models from NY did, but then again, you are getting quality workmanship at a "reasonable" price. Not "cheap" but certainly no ripoff.

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 07/16/09.