Stevens 520 under its various guises as a Western Field or a Ranger, or a trench gun. I have a full set, 12,16,20 and trench, and use the 20 for rails to brant. My father's 12 got me started and it still takes a toll of Old Squaw and brant each year.

There were 3 safety types, the one in the trigger housing, a sliding tang safety, and a button behind the trigger housing. I prefer the latter, but the tang mounted one is good too. There is no lock on the bolt so if you hold down the trigger and pump, it will fire immediately, which I learned one day tracking a mallard.

The receiver is said to be extremely hard as well. I had the 20 parkerized to resist salt water, the 16 reblued, and nothing done to the other two. Very sexy pump gun which accounted for a dozen rails 3 days ago.

Depends on what you like and maybe what you're used to--I also like Browning's A-5 auto due to the square back, and this is its slightly later cousin designed by Browning as a less expensive version. 1905 patent I believe, produced until ca. 1932, and still a workhorse for me.