The Del Carmin Whitetail is an inigma of imagination..Actually it is a Coues Deer and they were transplanted to the Big Bend National park during the Roosevelt administration by the CCC camp projects. My uncles and dad and the Adams brothers who ranched in the area drove the trucks that brought them from Arizona in a trade for Mule deer as I recall. I was just a baby in those days..Then many years later a biologist made all those claims of a new sub species and actually pulled it off, and even the SCI has a record book for Del Carmin Whitetail and it is all a sham!, a big rip offf. a sucker is born every minute btw...

The Carmen Mountains do not extend into the USA but they are visable from the Big Bend National Park area. They are solely in Mexico..The Coues, Del Carmin Whitetail are also in Mexico in the Del Carmin range, but also in the Big Bend Park and on the Rosillas Mt. Ranch, the Adams Bros Ranch, and on some other ranches bording Mexico in that area, they are also heavly populated on the Iron Mt. ranch North of Marathon, and off the highway between Alpine and Ft. Stockton and are hunted each year in that area. I shot a number of them in that area in my lifetime as I was raised in that area and I ranched the Rosillas ranch for about 6 years where I killed a huge "Del Carmin or Coues deer"...Locally they are called Hog Nose deer or Fantails and have been for years.

In the Sanderson area, they have normal whitetail and that is where they start and go East from there..In the Sanderson area they also have Whitetail/Mule Deer crosses and that can be varified through the Texas Parks and Wildlife in that area.

I tried to explain this to that well known biologist that made this discovery but he wasn't all that inclined to discuss it, nor did he want to hear about it..:) smile He is also a well known TV personality whitetail hunter and gun scribe.