Yeah I like Nikwax alot and also aquaseal. Nikwax is what I'm using right now my unit enjoys relaxed grooming and uniform standards depending on what we are doing. I think my CSM would hang me by the ears if I tried to wear these back home however. We recently were issued the Danner Combat Hiker to test, which I would compare to an inferior version of the Vasque Sundowner. It has the D type (not sure the actual technical cobblers name) rings for laces all the way up, then an eyelet at the top. It is a 6-7" boot of Nubuck with some sort of synthetic around the base above the sole, it is fairly stiff. However the fact that that you don't have the hooks at the top means you absolutley can not lace the lower portion tightly, it is a huge pain in a--. additionally, the laces run straight along the tounge for the whole length, instead of having the one that is essentially at the top of your foot/ bottom of your leg set back a little so it helps wrap the boot around your foot. I will take these and have hooks installed at a boot store on leave and then revaluate them. I'm sure this description is totally inadequate and unclear, but you may be able to view a picture on Danner's website for a little insight into what I'm talking about. I'll post some pictures at aome point as well. All in all the danner seems OK if it was modified somewhat, ie address the issues with how it laces, and the lower portion over the leather, which I am sure is to help keep the Nubuck from getting cut, is sewn, and the seems are always popping, and it should be cemented instead (I have done this to mine, and they don't blow out now, but I don't have a platoon's worht of shoe goo). The fit is somewhat wide, I wear 12 in it and wish it were slightly narrower. The above all pertains to the Danner, not the Lowa

Last edited by 175rltw; 08/02/09.