I have a Vanguard in 257 and am thrilled with it,mine is box stock except for a Timney trigger.

I have tried four factory loads,every one shot an inch or better at 100 yards for three shots.

The factory balistic tips shot right at half moa at 100 yards and were well under moa at 400 yards.

They shoot spooky flat,I use the main crosshair of the B&C reticle out to 400 yards and the second reticle at 500 yards. I could use a regular reticle with a top the critter hold at 500 and be fine. The rifle is sighted in about 2.75 inches high at 100 yards and is pretty much dead on at 375 yards.

It is not supposed to shoot this flat but it does,others here have reported pretty much the same thing.

Shoot the 80 grain ttsx if you like,but I can not imagine anything shooting flater than the 115 Balistic Tip or the 100 grain Spire Point. I use the 115s because they were a little more accurate and a little less affected by wind in my actual shooting with my gun.

The Vanguard in 257 is a super deal on a great hunting rifle.My buddy who reps for Weatherby tells me that on average the Vanguard in 257 is more accurate than the more costly Mark V in the same caliber.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 08/05/09.