The Glass Mountain ranch, Iron Mountail ranch, the Kincaid and the old CAp Yates ranch has had free rangeing elk since I was a kid and thats a damn long time ago...These ranches are North of Marathon, Texas and Northeast of Alpine, Texas...

In the early 1800s elk were native to the Alpine, Marfa, and Ft Davis area of the Texas Big Bend, they did not stock them in there the restocked them there to their native home. In fact the elk was a plains animal and is not native to the Pacific North West MOuntains, he was driven into the mountains by hunting pressure from the meat market..

I might add that these ranches are huge in the 100,000 ac. catagory with only 3 strand barb wire around them and they are Mountain ranches. The have Mule Deer, Coues Deer and Elk in abundance. I hunt in Idaho and I assure you that I don't cover near that much territory during an Idaho elk hunt in the Selway.

Sometimes I think folks hear of something and have preconcieved notions without having looked into the situation..