War Eagle,
I think Grasshopper's advice is pretty much on the money. I love the 6.5s - especially the 6.5x54 in the 1903 MS. If you study the published loading data for the 6.5x55 Swede, you will see that it is at very low pressures due to the old rifles that are floating around - like the Krag Jorgenson's, rolling blocks, etc. Even the '96 Mausers are considered weak actions compared to '98s and other modern actions....although I don't really think they are as far behind as some think. The point of this rambling is that if you are willing to go slow and work up, you can beat 6.5x57 performance by a good margin with safe loads in the Swede. The case is fatter and just holds more powder. Loaded at the same pressures, the 6.5x55 is superior. It also has an excellent reputation for accuracy. I have two customs in 6.5x55 and both are very accurate. I would not hesitate to use them on Elk as they have great penetration....for the record I know there are better Elk rifles. Brass and dies for the Swede are also easier to find. I don't think you would be able to tell much difference in the field. You carry a rifle a lot more than you shoot it, so carry the one that makes you feel good.

TexasJohn

Last edited by texasjohn; 09/19/09.