Hunted 6c NM a few years back (easy unit to draw). 2 encounters. First one, I was hunting my way along a trail, no signs of man, but some not so old Elk sign. Working my way down a drainage that traveled much fartehr than I was gonna go that day. Made it just about to the point where I was gonna turn and head back, and I hear a dirtbike. Not an ATV, A DIRTBIKE, and it's getting closer. Closer! So I step out of the trail, and find a little cover (not too hard to do). About the time I settle in, here comes Mr. Cross Country Rider hauling butt up the drainage. This in a unit where motorized traffic is limited to within 50' of a roadway. We were miles off the road (he and I).

My bil was hunting a saddle area where Elk were known to move. He heard an atv coming. He backs up against a tree and stands there. This idiot on the ATV pulls up within 50' of him, jumps off, looks around, unzips and takes a whiz. My bil said he could have.......Well you know what he wanted to do. This idiot zips back up, jumps on his atv and heads right back in the diirection he came from..

We reported both instances to the Ranger that evening at camp. That fella's atv was on the trailer for the rest of the hunt. The ranger said the fella on the dirtbike was most likely a Los Almamos Employee out for a day long ride. Nothing much he could do about that unless he caught him in the act.

I asked the ranger what the fine was if he caught someone off the road? $50 he said. WHHAATT! Make it more like $5000 and I bet that kind of thing would slow down a lot! He agreed, but what can he do?

This year, we're hunting a non-mechanized area. Not even a game cart is allowed.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions.