well don't ask me why, but a few weeks ago, I got this gut feeling while looking at a container of 4064.. why not try it out in the old 223..

4064 is not known to be 22 caliber friendly for a handloader, due to its bulky granulas... but yet it is accepted in the 22.250 and 220 Swift.. so why not the lowly 223?

So I tried some and was I surprised! to say the least...In three different rifles, with all sorts of bullet weights between 50 and 60 grains...in all sorts of bullet types...from trendy plastic tipped varmint bullets, to the lowly bulk bullets..

all these combos, 4064 is still turning out the best and tightest groups these rifles have ever shot! and these are some good shooting rifles!

played with charges from as low as 20 grains to 22.. 24 and 25 grain charges...

you may give up a 100 to 150 fps MV maximums...but it more than makes up for it in tiny little groups..

I have never been a velocity hound, so I can live with that, for those increases in accuracy!

Since it is not known as a 223 powder normally, I thought I would pass this on to my fellow varmint shooters..

looks like my next powder order will have to include 8 lbs of 4064 instead of one of the other powders...don't want to run out of a good thing!

cheers
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez