Dober, your running exactly 2 fps faster than my 23" Hart was doing with NBTs, I guess the RL17 is MO Betta than IMR4320 wink

Seriously I talked to a guy in Oregon I beieve, previously owned the Buzztail Brass co. IIRC. He told me he built a 338/06 AI and it shot slower than a Std. so they cut off the chamber and rechambered for the standard, and it was faster? Go figure.

Based on that, I did mine in standard. Simple, effective, VERY accurate, modest recoil, and another round or two in the gun JUST in case, vs. a Win Mag. I later bought a WM just to compare recoil. I shot 1/2 MOA all day with my then wildcat - pre- Asquare as I had to order a custom die set from Redding....WHEW not cheap even then....but my Win Mag, I was not doing so well. I sold the Mag quick.

SO, to the OP, I would HIGHLY recommend the 338-06 if you handload, and to K.I.S.S. and not do any 'improved' version, as the MAJORITY of improvement has already been done with you open up the 06 case to 338, improving your expansion ratio, giving you 3500+ lbs of ME on tap, and with 200 Noz thru 225s, you can reach plenty far on most game i.e. Elk.

I was getting 200s at 2909, 215 2790, and 225s 2670. WW brass, IMR4320, std. primer.

I personally feel the 338-06 is an unsung hero in sensible non magnum all around NA game rifle cartridges. Others run next to it like 35 Whelen/350 RM, for mid bores, and perhaps the 9.3s (more mass but little more trajectory as well).

Why this round never caught on more is beyond me, kills VERY well, and yet does not punish one's shoulder. That's nice in my book.

If it were truly Marketed, to me it BLOWS away a 270/280/30-06 in killing large game w/minimal fuss. Not that the above three are inadequate by any means, esp. w/todays bullets, but if I were in a remote wilderness, esp. where large bears roam, I'd feel a little better pushing larger bullets. Afterall, it's the bullet that kills, not the name 'Magnum' on the back of a brass case.

Oh, the guy above who really sold me on the 338/06, after reading tons by Finn Aaggard and Steve Timm, etc. told me of a bull shot around 370 yds, a 225 PT drilled both shoulders and exited about the size of a silver dollar. He said, "what more power/performance can you ask for?" I agreed.

Dober, post pics after the hunt! Good hunting.`