Originally Posted by exbiologist
Mark, do you use Final Finish for firelapping or PuffLon? Have you ever found it to worsen accuracy?

I have some Wheeler engineering firelapping compounds in 220,320 and 660 grits. When I get a brand new rifle or barrel I run a few rounds with the 660 through it and then polish a little with JB bore paste. No time or patience for the shot, scrub, shoot, scrub stuff and this has worked quite well for me.

I have never seen the system make accuracy worse, but I don't use the 220 and 320 on a barrel that shoots well to begin with. Only rough SOB's. I used it on a cheap heavy barrel for a 10/22 from a cheap kit and cut groups in half. Used it on a OLD 250/3000 savage with a really rough throat and got it shooting like new, albeit with a bit of 'freebore' in the throat when all was said and done. smile

IF possible, I use the polishing compound with cast lead bullets loaded down to subsonice velocities but have used it as well with jacketed bullets loaded slow. With jacketed bullets I try to find bullets with a long shank to get as much polishing per shot as I can. AA5744 works great for reduces loads.

If I did not already have the Wheeler engineering stuff I would go with Tubbs final finish as it comes in kit form with the polishing compund already imbedded onto correct for the application bullets and I am, at my core, lazy to the max.

Agree on trying the cut off credit (best) business (second best) card under the chamber and or recoil lug idea right off. I have done this as well for a cheap trial.

Good luck!

PS Geese and ducks are in, Got Pheasants coming out our Kazoo's. can you make it out this way soon? If you can make it out, we can firelap the rifle in question and shoot it here in between hunts. I also have a monster selection of Barnes TTSX and TSX bullets we can try out and about every gunpowder known to modern man in large quantities. Only have about 15,000 or so primers though so you should bring a couple..... smile

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500