I ran a couple of long-throat 7RM's that I hunted and shot with till the barrels wore out.They were set up so that the 160 Partition was seated with its' base was even with the base of the neck.This longer than 30/06 length,but easily doable in a Rem 700 action,or M70 with some modifications.

While still not quite the equal of the Mashburn,this set up ran 160's at about 3125-3140 with 7828;140's did 3300 or a bit under.I never had a problem of any kind.If you do it this way rather than with the 175,and the free bore is cut properly,accuracy will not suffer with lighter bullets.One of these rifles weighed 7.5 pounds;it was a favorite and would make composite groups with the 160 Partition,140 Partition,and 140 BBC you could cover with dimes and nickels.Barrels have all been Krieger 9 twist.

That said, I suspect the Mashburn will get a guy "there" easily,along with the Dakota, which is about the same thing.Both have more capacity than either the Remington or the Weatherby. Agree with Doc that the Mashburn is what the Remington shoulda been.....I mean, they had Pages data for a 22" Mashburn several years before the Remington mag was inroduced.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.