Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by goodnews
Originally Posted by jwp475

The SD arguement is lame and the Ruger 45 Colts can and do fire 30,000 Cup loads afely. This has been very throughly covered in print many times.
As a matter of fact Buffalo Bore factory loads bear this out with 325 grain LFN hard cast at 1350 FPS in 45 Colt

Absolutely! Very old news. The loads in manuals like Speer (some editions anyway) depend on who wrote up the cartridge. Guys like Venturino are traditional and adhere to traditional Colt loads of a 255-gr at 900 fps which is fine but it's not the whole story; An "older" Speer manual-not that old-still touts the old line that Colt brass in inherently weak. IOW, the manuals are not always that complete in their info or even always correct.

The 45 Colt brass is weak if one is useing the old balck powder balloon head cases, since the balloon head casses have not been produced for several decades it is no longer a true statement

Personally, I wasn't arguing on the basis of brass. I've posted so much on this subject of late, that I don't know where I've said what. Somewhere I said balloon head cases are so scarce and collectible that you would have a hard time finding one, let alone reloading it with a hot load.

If you're going on the basis of how much the case will hold alone, the 44-40 holds more than the .44 Magnum and so should be able to exceed its velocities...