Originally Posted by 257STEW
I have always said that the 325 is a winner. I wish one of the better gun scribes would do an article comparing the 325 to the 30/06 to see how it stacks up.The 325 with 180's should shoot as flat as an 06 with the same weight and hit as hard, and come in some fairly compact/light rifles. Use to be that if you wanted more gun than an 06 you had no choice but to go to a larger,heavier gun or go custom. Now you can go smaller,lighter thanks to the 325 and IMHO still be a step up in performance.
I now recommend the 30/06 or 325 to guys wanting to start out.The 30/06 still has more bullet choices for reloaders and more ammo choices for the non-handloader but if you are a one ammo/one load type hunter than there is no difference really.

If you stay within normal pressures the 325 is substantially more powerful than the 30-06, about 300fps faster with a 200gr bullet than the loads listed listed in the Lyman 48th manual. They may be closer in others but there's still a signifigant difference.....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................