A friend recounted to me a technique he used very successfully for a time.
He started taking his sister in law's [bleep] (sp?) dog out with him while hunting. Unbeknownst to the sister in law, he would find a likely spot and tie the little dog to a bush. After setting up in a good location, he would whistle at the dog which would then start yelping and crying like mad.
"I've never seen anything like it", he proclaimed. "those coyotes would just throw caution to the winds. There were times I had to shoot pretty quick or Fluffy would have been a memory."
Two things happened which made him give up the practice in spite of it's success. First, a bald eagle very nearly got Fluffy. Luckily the bush to which she was tied had enough overhang to thwart the eagle's attempt. The second occurence, and probably more telling, was that the sister in law got wind that Fluffy was not just going along for a ride but was an active participant in the hunt. This really brought things to a halt.
I asked him why he didn't just get his own dog. "I would never want to risk my own dog like that", he replied. GD