I looked at 9 Savage 99 and 1899 rifles and I bought the only two in excellent shape. The only other rifle that wasn't something I'd have used for a trotline anchor in a pinch was an 1899-A takedown in 303 he had that was a decent piece but way over priced for the condition it was in considering the stock was refinished and the front sight was wrong. I think he had 895.00 on it. I wouldn't have given 100.00 bucks for another rifle in the grouping. The only saddle ring carbine I saw was in such sad shape I didn't even check the caliber. I'll be honest though some peoples trash is anothers treasure. A hard sanded stock below the metal all the way around and either no finish or patina which is a fancy word for rust in my vocabulary won't ever follow me home. I think he thought the older it was the more it was worth reguardless of condition and if it was a takedown it was worth a lot more too no matter what shape it was in. I don't think he was trying to be dishonest I just don't think he knows anything about Savage rifles and I didn't either a year ago but from the excellent information and people on this website and some good reference books that has changed. I just saw a buyer tonight pay 1000.00 on a "Buy it Now" listed on Gunbroker for an 1899-B made in 1904 that a guy advertised as a 30 inch barrel factory drilled and tapped with an ERA scope on it. Well how many of you think a Weaver K5 was made in 1904 cause that was the scope mounted on it and no it wasn't in Stith mounts either and 30 inches isn't measured from the back of the bolt to the end of the barrel. It was really only a 26 inch barrel and the long barrel was the only thing that made me take the time to call him in the first place. I couldn't even sleep at night if I'd ripped someone off that bad.