Personally, I never grew up with safeties, but I realize that they are here to stay. I haven't changed my opinions of them, which are basically negative.
A big problem with safeties of any type is relying on them, rather than on skill. Safeties can lull one into a false sense of security, or even a lack of respect for the power of the firearm. Any mechanical device is as prone to mishap as the human who designed and built it, and thus the idea that safeties make a firearm safer and the more the merrier is at best an illusion. I suppose we can't be surprised that we have to deal with all this, since they have all been mandated by politicians and lawyers, two groups of people who find it impossible to analyze a problem and craft a simple solution.
That said, I second J.B.'s comments regarding them, besides, a nice thing about the cross bolt is you can use it-or not. If you leave it off, your gun will work just fine. Speaking personally, I find the cross bolt impossible to take a quick peek at to find out if it is engaged or not, so I make a habit of leaving the safety off.
Regarding the new tang unit, unless you mount a tang sight, its a simple glance to tell yourself if its engaged, and that alone makes it a better idea, IMHO.