Depends.

I'd suggest Simmons .22 mag 4X for guns that are mediocre accurate for short range use. I had one on a 77/22 all weather .22 mag for a while. It got the job done but there were times I felt the need for a little more magnification.

Leupold 2-7X RF special is pretty nice for a little nicer gun. So is their EFR version of the 3-9X compact.

I put a Burris 4-12X AO compact on one rimfire I had. I was not happy with that scope. I couldn't focus such that it was clear at more than one distance, so I had to use the AO to compensate for focus changes with distance rather than for parallax adjustment. It had a lot of curvature / distortion even well away from the edges of the sight picture. And it was way heavier than it's physical size warrants ... same weight as my Leupold full size 6.5-20X.

I'm currently running a Leupold VX II 4-12X on a heavy barreled Ruger 77/17 HMR. Probably don't need quite that much but it's nice when trying to pick out squirrel parts or squirrel eyes when they are hiding in grass clumps.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...