I have a couple of observations. The defensive handgun you've spent thousands of rounds with would be a good choice. I carry a .45 ACP similar to the one that did 20 years of military service with me, attended several bullseye and combat matches and generally went plinking with me. I wouldn't feel unarmed with any centerfire handgun I'd hunt deer with. My experience there is .45 ACP/AR, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt. I have a 10mm Glock, but is "lives" with my wife, so it probably won't go deer hunting with me. I squirrel hunt with a .22 revolver or semiauto. I'd rather avoid and seek cover with this light a defensive tool. Push come to shove, a 22 in the eye/ face just might discourage an attacker. I live in Tennessee too. Frankly, I deer hunt with both bow and muzzle loader with a .45 ACP concealed on my person. I hunt for enjoyment but don't give up my citizenship in the process. I have no plans to shoot any game animal with an "illegal" firearm. I play by the wildlife management rules but protecting myself and my family are first. You can legally hunt certain species with a centerfire all year, including coyotes, possums and racoons. Range and power become issues out in the woods they wouldn't be in conversation "city" situations. I'd say a handgun that wouldn't shoot dinner plate groups at fifty yards would not be my choice. I've never tried the new "ultralight" S&W .44 Magnum revolver, but am tempted. My Mountain Gun at 39 1/2 ounces approaches a .45 Auto Government Model is weight, but not power or reach. The comment on Idaho just reinforces my view that Idaho is a great state to hunt in, and I'll be back again if at all possible.