Originally Posted by jwp475

You fail to grasp the "accident" part of this. He thought that he was sure, that's why it is called an "accident"..

Another one that has never made a mistake...

I didn't fail to grasp anything, and I never questioned the fact that it was an accident. It was a gross failure to obey a fundamental hunter safety rule -- be certain of your target. Shooting at the presumed glow of a coyote's eyes hardly qualifies as being certain of your target.

This incident saddens and sickens me. I feel about this the same way I feel about the recent death of young man, a firefighter, who was one of my son's lifelong best friends. He ran out of gas and pulled well off the shoulder of a freeway. A young farmhand jumped a fence and was helping him put gas in the vehicle when a 60-something year old woman drove off the freeway, at midday in perfect weather, and struck and killed them both. An accident? Yes, but she will still be held accountable in both a criminal and civil sense. Manslaughter is still manslaughter, regardless of the intentions. The criminal and civil sanctions won't bring them back, but neither should people be able to just walk away after taking another human life because the act was deemed an accident.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.