I had a first-year-production Marlin 1895 (modern, 1972) with the Ballard-rifled Douglas barrel and B00nnnn serial number. It had a straight lever and the crescent-shaped hard buttplate. It was a beast to shoot with anything but popper loads, so I sold it (to a campfire member). It was about the ideal configuration except for the buttplate. It was in such nice shape, and a bit more valuable than commonly-available 1895s, that I could not bring myself to cut it and install a soft pad.

The next best thing IME is the 1895G. I agree that the first ones with the ported barrels were LOUD. I traded mine for a newer, non-ported one. It's action is super smooth, it shoots really well, and it is extremely handy. Velocity gains in longer barrels are minimal with this caliber.

I once killed a deer at 30 yards, then cycled the action real slowly so as not to spook the second deer standing beside the first one. The second deer didn't hear it so I shot it too - a two-fer. smile Both deer were shot with 350 grain Hornady RNs at moderate velocity. The first one was hit at the base of the neck at the front of the shoulder. It travelled two feet - DOWN! The hooves were still in the tracks it made when it was standing. Off like a light switch, DRT, and all that good stuff. I know some of you appreciate that kind of performance, and some don't. I do.

The second deer took one in the ribs and ran 50 yards. Plenty of blood though. A second shot to the head finished the deed.

45-70s are fun.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.