I'd just add that I suspect many don't understand that the standard weight bullets used for the .44 Magnum can vary alot as to how much they expand, producing larger wound channels, or penetrate alot more if they don't open up alot.
I remember Bob Petersen of Guns & Ammo fame killing both an Alaskan Brown Bear and an Alaskan Mooose with his 6.5 inch Smith. Absolutely no lack of penetration with the 240 gr. Norma bullets he used. Shot through the lenth of his big moose, for instance.
Elmer Keith had no trouble at all getting his .44 mag, with 240 gr. Remington factory lead loads, which was a softer swagged lead bullet with a thin gas check, to shoot right through the face plate on the several cows he shot with them. A heavy, hard bone that my Dad found would stop a .30-30 slug.
The thing is that if you have your gun zeroed for 300 gr. hard cast loads, that is all you can use unless you rezero it for other ammo. But by going to faster or slower opening bullets, one can use the same weight bullets, which should shoot the same zero, and get a wider variety of performance much more easily.
Odviously, I prefer that option. E