For what it's worth
Dug out my notes from my 35 Whelen in a Remington classic- With the 250 grain Speer bullet, (cup and core, not A frame) 57 grains of R15 and the CCI standard primer gave me an average velocity of 2446 fps. Fifty six and one half grains, CCI standard primer, gave an average velocity of 2374 fps.
The 57 grains of R15 and the Federal LR Mag primer, gave me (in the same rifle) an average velocity of 2515 fps with the Hornady spire Point, and 57 1/2 grains of R15 with the Fed LR Mag primer gave me 2522 fps with the Hornady Spire point.

With the Federal LR Mag primer and 57 grains of R15, I got 2492 fps with the 250 Speer, and with 56 1/2 grains R15, Fed LR Mag primer, I got 2492 fps.
Looking at my notes, the one conclussion I can safely draw is to work up loads carefulley, as evidenced by the fact that with 56 1/2 grains of R15, 250 Hornady bullet and CCI primer gave me 2374 fps, but the 56 1/2 grains of R15, 250 Speer and the fed Mag primer gave me 2492 fps.
The groups the went with those chrono readings were poor, but the lugs on that rifle desparately needed lapping. I believe the gunsmith said it was one of the worse cases he had seen. My notes indicate the first group after having the lugs lapped were sub inch, and that was with the Hornady Spire point.
For what it's worth, that rifle never grouped well at 200 yards with any of the 250 grain bullets I ran thru it. Never determined if it was a rifle or scope problem, though.

Fred