"Pathetic speed"?.... What's pathetic is seeing 15-20" of penetration from these super-bows, at close range....

Go with the added weight. Shoot a narrow, cut-on-contact, two blade. Read the "trad" articles/forums and see what the other side is doing. We're shooting much heavier arrows at much reduced speeds and the arrows go right through and out the other side.

Arrow penetration: If there's a problem,there are several factors:

I. Too light of arrow. (425grains is a light arrow.) Stick with the old idea of 10-12 grains/pound. (500-550gr would be ultra-efficient with a 63# compound) I think "Uncle Ted(Nugent)" has even dropped his poundage down and will tell you that a 50# bow, with a two-blade broadhead, will get the job done... But then, every "50#" bow is different... it's about what speed the arrow leaves the bow.

II. Broadhead has too much resistive, or cutting surface/too steep angle and/or too many blades.

III. Poor arrow flight. Your arrow should look like a torpedo in flight, going straight towards the target.

If not, you need to tune your arrows by changing the head weight, the length, or the amount and angle of fletch.

(krp is spot-on!)... when you changed your head weight, you changed the way your arrow flew and how it entered the target. An arrow is a system, a bow is a system, the archer is a system,, and any change in this ecosystem, can do a lot of change. I'm glad you're asking the question!!.. It'll lead you to a whole new dimension of archery and obsession.

Broadheads require more fletch. They also can come off a rest differently. The height of your nock point will make a radical change in flight as well.

In order to get penetration, your arrow has to be going straight and not slam into the animal sideways. One needs a sharp, narrow broadhead, on a heavy arrow... One doesn't need speed.

Good shootin'.... Ken