I've been an archer since I was ten years old hunting bunnies ducks geese squirrels and pheasants

I've always from the very beginning been very proud of the closest shots I have made. To me the archery hunt is about the "HUNT" not the shot. Under 20 yards should be a done deal and it really reflects the skills of the hunter.

The shots over 35-50 yards more seem to reflect the equipment and the shooter. I'm not a "shooter" I'm a Hunter. So the bragging rights in my book go to the close range archer not the long range skills of high dollar equipment and precision target accuracy. It's really hard for an animal to jump the string under 20 yards, far more common between 25-30 and up.

I whole heartedly agree with the range opinion you have offered. I will gladly study game patterns and behavior to figure out where to place myself in anticipation of their arrival, or by stalking to within the range needed for a shot. Archery is about the hunt for me, not so much the shot. I enjoy shooting at 50 yards, makes the 20 yard shots feel simple! But I rather doubt I will be launching arrows anytime soon at game that far.

My furtherest shots in my life on game have been several elk in the 30-35 yard range, and the longest shot of my life was 38 yards on a Mtn Lion. Never shot a hog, deer, or bear over 30 yards with my bow. Also never shot any African animal over 30 yards. I should also add that I have never lost an animal that I have shot. So the close range pride in hunting skills have always put me into the best range I can be successful at.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)