podunkkennels;
Some of my family still hunt with the .303 British and my late father used one for moose. I guess I've owned and played with more than a dozen of them over the years and have been there when 2 deer died and did post mortem on 1 moose shot with a .303 British.

The bullet used in one that has killed several moose and a few more deer is the Sierra 180gr. Game King. Backed by a book load of WW760 I think it was good for something like � 2300fps. I recall tissue damage and bullet penetration similar to what I'd expect out of a short barreled .308 using a C&C bullet of similar weight.

I also loaded some Hornady 150gr. Spires for a fellow and we ended up over 2500fps if memory serves. For the life of me I can't recall if he shot anything with that bullet, but it grouped well for a rifle that had seen a couple world wars.

From the velocities we've chronographed over the years it appears that the .303 British would be a twin to a .300 Savage, but I've never owned or shot a .300 Savage, so that's a guess.

The velocities we've seen put the .303 British a little closer to an 18�" barreled .308 Carbine than a 20" barreled .30-30.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck getting your .303 back into service.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"