Thanks for reply Mr. Ken, if I may be so familiar.........
I was taught the finer parts of tool and die, from shadow grinding, to heat treat and flowing metal from a bunch of old farts. That did it. Really did it.

They didn't read about it and regurgitate it. They couldn't read about it. They were doing it for the first time. Like John opening up the 378 to 458. Gen-You-Wine. (If I may steel a little.)

I am an old fart metal worker now and a few of the young guys in our shop are shooters. They know the difference between "file to fit, charge extra for sand blasting in 5 minutes to cover my tool marks" gunsmiths and the " check in all axis with an indicator, redo it and be truthful if I make a mistake" gunsmiths.

I keep copys of articles about and by John Buhmiller, Bob Bell and the like for them to read. Folks they hadn't heard of or didn't know they had read. They want to know where to get more, hungry they are, for the real deal.

Old farts smile in all trades when the rookies "get it" for the first time.

Then there is no stopping them. They get hungry for information and are more demanding of their own work on their own guns.

My $.02

Last edited by 257_X_50; 05/09/10.