Years back I built a 300 Win Mag on a M70 H&H action as a rough country elk rifle with a 24" barrel, and "wildcatted" the cartridge by throating to take advantage of the H&H length magazine.The kreiger barrel did an easy 3150 with 180 gr bullets; and right on 3000 fps with 200 gr Partitions. It was a great rifle that weighed a shade over 8 pounds all up.I used it all over the west an many hunts.

I've had others as well.So I like the 300 Win mag but prefer less recoil these days.

I've never hunted with a 300 WSM but have owned and loaded for a few; I like it with bullets up to 180 gr's and notice it is a bit more manageable than the 300WM (it burns less powder and is not as fast),is very flexible and accurate,and if an action feeds and functions well I think it's a great cartridge.

What I'd hunt with one I'd hunt with the other;can't imagine there would be a hell of a lot of difference from a practical standpoint. If a guy has one he does not need the other,unless he is a 300 mag loony who likes to pick nits. grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 05/19/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.