Originally Posted by akjeff
Some interesting responses, and it's remained fairly civil.

As expected, most of the detractors have basically zero first hand experience, and most of their negativity is based on the usual "my brother in laws best friend" or a "good buddy of mine" type thing. I get a big kick out of those who claim a Harley won't handle. Check out a few YouTube videos of some LEO Motor Officer rodeos. I'm also guessing the "chicken strips" on my Road Glides tires would compare favorably with that of guys driving Gold Wings, and their equivalent.

Always a pleasure to hear the usual Harley rider stereotypes. I guess I'm the oddball H-D rider. I have a job, no tatt's, short hair, and I don't refer to my wife as my "old lady" or "seat meat". Don't dress like a pirate either, just protective gear, for the possibility of a crash.

As for reliability. I've logged about 100k miles on several Evo powered H-D's, and now have 6k on my new Twin Cam powered bike. Thus far, I've never had a break down, of any sort. Nor have any parts "vibrated off" any of my bikes. Can't say the same for the BMW R100R I put about 15k on. It stranded me along side the road with electrical problems twice.

The hostility towards foreign bike riders must be a regional thing. I've never seen a brand x rider get hassled at any of the H-D dealerships up here. Pull into the local Kaw/BMW/Triumph dealer here on a Harley if you want to feel the cold shoulder. Talk about snobbery.

Ride safe guys, whatever you're riding.

Jeff

Jeff, I think you may also be the oddball as you're a Harley rider who's actually ridden the bikes that most Harley riders scoff at. Yes, I chide my buddies who ride Harleys, but its due in no small part to all the chiding I've taken from them, first. So your first sentence can easily be used against Harley riders who have no experience with non-Harley bikes.

Like I said, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard some iteration of the "hunched-over" or "monkey raping a football" comments, I wouldn't have to worry about funding that safari.

And thank you for being one of the 75% of Harley riders who wave back to me. I love motorcycles, just don't have enough money to own EVERY motorcycle that I love!

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!