Many years ago a poster here sent me Frank Davis's Cajun Seafood Cookbook, mostly for the recipe named above...

Today was spent teaching a new boat owner some more advanced single-screw docking manuevers, and pulling some shrimp pots. Docking went extremely well, shrimping was okay. One poor little octopus had no idea what twin 7-year-olds would do to him... Burp!!!!!!!!!!! One even insisted on learning to butcher one so they would stop letting them go. Entire octopus was eaten in less than 15 minutes. wink

back to the shrimp... Frank's recipe calls for several questionable things; margarine, 3 Tablespoons of salt, and no garlic... So I have fixed those obvious shortcomings... Then I cheated by using AK Spotted Prawns instead of any old southern GOM shrimp. Our shrimp are big and incredibly fat. You may have to dance with the one what brung ya.

Shrimp Boiled in Butter
5# shrimp, headed
1/2# butter
3 medium onions quartered
1 Tablespoon Old Bay seasoning (dry)
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 head of garlic peeled and sliced
1/2 cup white wine

I made considerably less and mostly guessed at the amounts, and it is awesome.

Put all ingredients except the wine in a cold pot and put on high heat. Stir constantly until the juices start flowing and then just stir often. At about 12 minutes the shrimp will be done. Far better to undercook than overcook...

Add the wine and stir, remove from heat immediately.

Frank says to serve with lots of bread and that works... I had enough shrimp to skip the bread.

Lots of these prawns have eggs and spooning a bunch of the juice over the eggs before sucking them off the swimmerettes may seem gross. But it is dammmmnnnn good! The onions are incredible!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.