Originally Posted by Mule Deer
To follow up on what Phil posted, D'Arcy Echols spend an average of 80 hours on each Model 70 Classic action alone, making sure everything works perfectly. For instence, his ideal (though not always reached) is to have the action feed empty cases for the round its chambered in. He also essentially rebuilds the trigger, squaring and honing all applicable surfaces and replacing the factory pins with ones that fit.

In addition he replaces the bottom metal with a magazine that's the perfect width for the round in question, and fits a custom scope mount that is machined the support the entire length of the scope tube.

That's just a few of the things that go into a "plastic" Echols Legend, and are part of the reason they cost so much. They are not just any aftermarket barrel screwed into a Rem. 700 action and dropped into any synthetic stock.

I love fine walnut as much as the next guy, and have several rifles that are custom-stocked with really good wood. But a custom walnut stock does not turn a pre-64 Model 70 into a custom rifle, anymore than dropping a 700 into a McMillan makes it a custom rifle. But it IS a Model 70 with a custom stock.

Is it hard to make a gun feed empty shells? I can do it on my Penrod custom Model 70 with no problems.