I've been digging into my reloading for the up coming season. Looking at the reloading bench there are all types of bullets and powders to make some type of prescription for an Elk this year with my 270 WSM.

Looking at the bullets I have 140 grain TSX, 140 grain Accubonds, 150 grain Interbond, Interlocks, and 150 grain Partitions. Yeah any of them would do but I get into the more detailed stuff and try to pick out the most efficient to work up a load for. Lately I've been thinking again on the 160 grain partition. Last year I just couldn't see any advantage because the BC was low and with the velocity loss it didn't seem to make much sense over the others.

The one thing that it did have was a sectional density of .298!, the highest in the whole 270 line up.

I started looking into what this meant. I found that bullets with higher sectional densities are known for deeper penetration with all things equal. So if we are seeking a bullet for big game this could be another specification to take into consideration. I read an article that bullets above .279 in sectional density are desired.

I looked up the sectional densities of the bullets I have and then compared the Ballistic Coefficient. I know a lot of people don't think much of the .270 as a big game cartridge but I found that the Nosler Partition 150 and 160 grain bullets are .279 and .298 in sectional density.

I think I am going to work up the 150 grain partition this year. The BC isn't so bad, the sectional density is great, it's a flat base which usually gives a little more velocity/efficiency, and the partition has lived through all the years for one reason or another.