In defense of slg888 I can see how he might be a little suspicious of HappyShooters first post. He might have handled it with a little more tact and given HappyShooter the benefit of the doubt.

Slg888 is really just starting to learn what is involved in setting up a really good hunting rifle and the name scribed on the side of the action is not the most important thing, unless you just want to brag to your buddies.

If a guy has the time and knowledge he can do a lot of the the work himself and get a truly great hunting rifle ready to go for less than $3000.

Here is the formula I would recommend:

1. Remington SPS Stainless in 7MM Rem Mag
2. Optic suitable for both close and far shots. You can guess my recommendation
3. High quality synthetic stock. I would recommend the Greybull stock SURPRISE
4. Rugged scope mounts and I would suggest a 20MOA tilt
5. Jewel trigger. Don�t screw around here, just do it right
6. Retumbo powder, Berger 180gr VLDs, Winchester Brass, Mag primers

If the VLDs don�t shoot well when loaded to kiss the leade in the factory throat then either sell the rifle and get another or have a good gunsmith screw on a good barrel with a throat designed to handle the VLDs.

80% of the factory Rem SPS I have tested will shoot the VLDs into � MOA of less when loaded to kiss the rifling.

You will most likely have about 40hrs in to setting everything up and have a rifle that will stand toe to toe with anything in the world.

Some guys have way more time and money invested in rifles that are 400yd guns, at best. It is impossible to learn to shoot at 800yds with a 400yd gun.

The only way anyone is ever going to learn to shoot well at extended distance is to first get a rifle that will perform at extended distance.

Lots of different ideas on how to get the rifle and we can either supply our turn key approach or some of the parts (or none of the parts) for the guy who want the satisfaction and has the time to do it himself.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.