Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
You are very talented! Very nice! How does the damascus hold an edge? I am not that well versed on damascus.

Great question. Here are my thoughts on the use of stainless vs non stainless high cabon steel.

This damascus is made from high carbon non stainless steel. These steels can take a thinner edge than most stainless steels without chipping. This is due to the high alloy content of stainless steels to make them "stainless". Non stainless steel is typically easier to sharpen or hone on a steel or ceramic rod. For me a few strokes on a very fine ceramic rod gets the edge back to its initial sharpness. The tradeoff of thinner edge and easy sharpening is that it does not hold the edge as long as most stainless blades. However to put it in perspective, to test my blades I typically cut a .75 inch hanging sisal rope in one swing(for larger blades), then chop through a pine 2x4 and cut some carboard. The knife will still shave hair after these tests.I then flex the edge on a brass rod to make sure it is not too brittle (chip) or too soft (stay flexed). For my personal carry knife, hunting knife and kitchen knives I much prefer non stainless high carbon. I also make and use stainless steels blades like d2 and 154cm, just personally prefer the non stainless.