Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut

There are a few things that beg arguing here:
1) I use a 225 gr. TSX at a measured 2660 fps. With a B.C. of .359. (So the bullet was the first bad assumption on your part.)
There's no way on earth I would in a million years attempt a shot at over 700 yds. even if I KNEW I could hit my target. Velocity would be so low, the bullet would not expand. What MV did you use for the 250 gr. NP? Do you know at what velocity the NP in question will cease to expand reliably?
Besides all that, I have a 600 yd. range at my house which I've shot on extensively. (I shoot High Power competitivly) I know first hand what the slightest puff of wind can do to a bullet at these ranges. Fact is, about 30 minutes prior to killing last years bull I watched a much larger bull spar with another bull at a lasered 510 yds. It never entered my mind to attempt that shot because it would have been highly irresponsible. Made for some beautiful snapshots though!
2) You have no idea at what elevation I hunt. (Second incorrect assumption)FYI it's over 10,000 ft. which affects the trajectory and terminal velocity of a bullet greatly.
3) I knew WELL before my bull walked out of the timber how far my bullet dropped in 50 yd. increments out to 400 yds. Th 225 gr. TSX drops about 16" at 350 yds. at 10,000 ft. All I had to do was hold ovre about 6". No estimating...I've shot enough at long range to have a pretty good idea of what 6" at 350 yds. looks like. All I had time to do is range him and make the decision to shoot. If I'd had to twiddle with a elevation knob and count clicks, the bull would've been long gone.
Your post proved my assumption correct: you're one of those armchair, internet ballisticians who thinks foot-pounds of energy kills game. Oh well...to each his own.

And I still maintain my assertion that your rig looks like your rifle is mounted to your scope. Must be handy to carry a trim (ahem) little rig like that through the brush! laugh
35WN

muzzle velocity for the 250 NPT calculations was 2600 fps. ( ~60K psi and 24")

never had a NPT not expand, and i've killed more schitt than i can count with 'em.

you do know that elevation will will reduce bullet drop and velocity loss, all else equal don't you? seems not. and yes, i'm no stranger to 10k+.

about 6". No estimating

LOL

when i have to get my 6'4" frame through the brush, i've never had the .75" turret make a difference. that little rifle has been with me to griz and wolf infested 10K+ more times than i can count and never once regretted the knob. and of course, that isn't the only rifle i've carted up the mountain sporting similar knobs less issue.

'Dood, the 600 has taken bear with authority, but i much the M7 for utility.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.