Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
I've owned M70's for more than 40 years, and I've never had a problem getting good accuracy out of any of them (no matter if it was a pre-64 model, 'push feed' model, or one of the newer classics).

But the M70's do have a preference when it comes to their action screws, and the way they are tightened can make a huge difference in how well they shoot.

For example, on my old 1960's M70 30-06 the front and rear action screws have to be very tight, while the center action screw needs to be 'just snug'. If I tighten the center action screw it will torque the action and mess up the groups. Same will happen if I loosen either the front or rear action screw.

Sometime you just have to experiment a bit and find out what a specific rifle prefers....

[Linked Image]

I hate Winchesters,mainly because I've had lotsa them(54's,pre-64's,PF's,post-CRF's and CRPF's).

The dog knot is something to be rid of and anything wearing a 3-fastener bottom,always shines with the middle fastener at half-throttle.

Winchester still can't do a stock that isn't horrid,save their SPR's in A-series McMillan..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."