Originally Posted by ChipM
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by tx270
I'm still trying to figure out why your considering 200 gr bullets at 2700 fps out of an 06' as a dedicated "long" range mule deer load.

Load up some high BC 150's at 3000fps or so, or some 165's at 2850-2900. THEN your talking a dedicated long range muley load.

Sometimes your logic baffles me.

Given equally accurate loads, the 200-gn Accubond at 2740 fps is a significantly superior long range load to a 165-gn NBT at 2900 fps or a 150 at 3000 fps. I'm not talking drop, nor retained energy here... talking wind drift mainly. Drop is easy to correct, etc.

However, I don't know if I'll be able to get both that kind of speed with the 200's and great accuracy. That's still an unknown. My last try with RL17 yielded as-advertised speed (in my .325) but not great accuracy.

Anyway I won't argue against the 30-06. I love my 30-06; it's on it's second barrel as a 30-06, if that tells anything... I've run at least (400) 165-gn NBT's through that rifle in the last year, mostly at longer ranges, and you bet, they work. I would tend to agree that 165's are near-nirvana in a 30-06... but RL17 may goose the 200-gn enough to change things a bit.

And finally.... the rifle loon in me can't help but figure ways that I could do this job better than the 30-06, which happens a lot, I gather, to other loons too. smile

Jeff it sounds like you are answering your own question..take your 30-06 and be done. If you really want a Kimber in 7WSM, then just buy one. I just can't understand why you would buy one and rebarrel it. If the gun shoots then use it as is. The idea INHO on the Kimber is lightweight, handling and balance, why would you screw it up by rebarreling.

If you like the '06 as much as you say, then use it and spend the money on different components to find an accurate load that you have confidence on. I'll bet a cup of coffee right now that after all is said and done, if you get a shot at a big mulie, it will be under 200 yds and all this is a moot point grin

Yeah, that'd be how it worked out no doubt! Obsess and practice to 700 yds.... kill one at 150....

Just for clarification- 7 WSM isn't chambered anymore by Kimber; they are getting scarce. If I bought a different WSM and rebarreled I'd have them match the Montana contour- so weight and balance would be the same.

For informational purposes since I mentioned it, I did a pressure run-up with RL17 and the 200-NAB yesterday. I was able to hit 2700 fps, but accuracy was not good at all. Today I'll run a test between the 165-NBT and 180-NBT for accuracy and we'll see. I've shot both, a BUNCH of the 165's. But now I have a 100-yard range and installed covered bench on my property so I can really pick nits! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!