Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It'd be fanciful to think that Winchester would use somebody else's primers in their ammo. For just one thing, they say their primers are specifically tailored for use with Ball� powders.

Some labs - Speer was once one - used an in-house rule to use magnum primers with ALL spherical powders, no matter what. That ignored such things as case capacity, which is a major consideration for primer choice. Lately, that inflexible rule seems to have been set aside, thank goodness. Current data books that I've seen now show a mix of standard versus magnum primers even with spherical powders. The choice may revolve around case capacity and the particular powder used - which are the two proper decision points, IMO.

Years ago I followed a Speer recipe for 22-250 and used a magnum primer with a starting load with a ball powder and blew the extractor off of my Custom Sako.Case volume has everything to do with the use on a Magnum primer!!!!! eek

a 22-250 would be a mag in my books.. bore diameter vs case capacity....

The mag primer didn't blow the extractor, it was the bad load data that did more than likely.
I run all mags in 223 cases well over 100K rounds fired in the competition years.... probably well more than that actually since it was up to 20K a year at times. And I ran probably 50/50 ball and extruded powder.

My rule.... try to take the best info you can IE what powder/primer combo is suggested most as a match... IE in 223 Varget and CCI BR4 and you need look no further..... and then I test.

I never write off a primer as I've ended up using every last one at some point or another in combos through a barrels life while playing with different stuff.

primers are one thing that I've noticed can cut a group in half or double or triple it by simply trying another primer with a certain powder in a safe load..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....