I'm currently awaiting the mating of one of my old '03 actions to a heavy 28" Broughton barrel, and a Richards laminated Marksman style stock - trying to more or less recreate a somewhat updated version of a 1920's to 30's target rifle to shoot some long range matches with. '06 chamber of course.

Can't test a rifle 'till it's built, but while anxiously awaiting the fruition of it all, has anyone tried some of these faster loads in a longish (like my 28" one) barrel? Do the slower powders like the 4831's, etc. get proportionately more velocity increase after 24-26" or do they just add more wt. out front?

I'll be testing about a 4 gr. wt. spread in most of the slow burners to find both speed and accuracy in the gun. Any recommendations would be appreciated, but I expect the loads already mentioned here should prove out similar to what our game loads provide. Match bullets may allow a smidge more powder when they have shorter bearing surfaces, but that's about it, at least as far as my expectations run.

My 'smith is an excellent one, specializing in beanfield/tactical rifles, and a buddy has an amazingly accurate .308 on a Surgeon action. Us old pharts get the "yips" sometimes on the trigger just like we do with a putter on the golf course, but I believe that .308 will do 2.5" consistently at 600. I'm trying to teach him to shoot off the bench, and he's learning pretty well. I only shoot it occasionally, but .... what a rifle!

Any help with target loads would help allay my anxiety in the waiting process. THANKS!