Originally Posted by Hammer1
My friends tell me that 28 gauge shotguns are for side-by-side and over/unders only.

Never an autoloader.

Due to the high price of 28 gauge factory shells, all 28 gauge shooters have to be reloaders.

And that chasing and hunting empty 28 gauge hulls is not the way to spend your life or have your friends waiting on you.

Are you saying this is the latest peer-pressure from the (28gagg) you-can-only-do-it-this-way-if you-want-to-be-kool-krowd!!??

To heck with 'em!
As for reloading, seems the way to go. I don't visit their site often enough but Ballistic Products had 28 hulls, wads and data last time I looked.

Originally Posted by MuleDeer
..... There are other factors as well. My wife had a Franchi 28-gauge autoloader for a while, along with her Hatfield side-by-side. She only used the Franchi one season and sold it, because it was such a PITA to load and unload

This is an interesting [anecdotal] take on the Franchi autoloader, from experience in the field. I have never seriously considered buying one but wondered how good of a quail shooter one would be. My ultimate upland guns would be O/U's, because I like looking down a single-barrel, not two.

BTW, my first exposure the the 28 gauge was with a game warden on the shores of the Salt Lake, shooting a 28 Citori after checking me. Claimed the 28ga is a "killing machine" with its 3/4oz square load.

Never forgotten that, and look at 3/4ounce loadings in the 20 and 12 gauges in a new light. I picked up two DL-105 Hornady presses to rebuild so I can reload 3/4ounce 2inch shells in both of those gauges! Mostly from 'AA' and STS hulls once the crimp petals start cracking.