Stumbled across this rifle a few weeks ago at a well known gun shop. The tag on the rifle said "Custom Pre-64 Model 70, .300 Winchester Magnum. I asked the sales associate what he knew about the rifle... he read the tag and repeated what it stated. I asked him what he knew about Winchester Model 70's... he said "Good Rifles"...300 Win Mag would be a great shooter. I told him that the SN was 83,XXX and that the rifle was clearly a 300 HH based on the barrel stamp 300 Magnum. Well I asked him what his best price would be and he brought out his manager... we negotiated and I bought the rifle.

Interesting rifle... There are no sights on the 26" stainless steel barrel. No front sight, and no rear sight boss that is all too familiar on a Model 70 barrel. The rear bridge is not drilled. The proof mark on the barrel is nearly on top of the barrel. There is a 4 digit number stamped under the barrel, in addition to 300M 48. The stock clearly is a custom job.

Any ideas on what this might be? Possible special order rifle? Re-stocked? Turned down barrel?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]