Originally Posted by Redneck
The S/N makes it an early 1948 model.. But the proof mark near the top of the barrel suggests to me that it might have been removed, possibly set back and/or rechambered.. Normally, those proof marks are directly across from each other on the LH side of the receiver.. With this one placed on top, I'd be very suspicious of the chambering.

The .300 WM wasn't manufactured until '63. IIWY, I would NOT fire that rifle until I had someone do a chamber cast to see what it really is..

Nice looking rifle though, for sure.. ..

This sounds right to me...likely a 300H&H with barrel set back and rechambered for the "new" (at the time)300 Win Mag.Hence the proof mark wound up toward the top.

Recontour removed the rear sight boss and front sight ramp.

What throws me is the 1948 serial number with a SS barrel....not sure but I don't think Winchester made SS barrels for the 300H&H until much later, if at all, but I could be wrong.This leads me to think the barrel came off another rifle.

I can't tell from the pictures....is the action a H&H length M70? Or a standard 30/06 length action?

If a 30/06 length(which will fit the 300 Win Mag),it has been mated up with a 300 H&H barrel that was set back and rechambered.

One thing for sure, it ain't original, or a special order custom shop rifle.I'd do like redneck says, cast the chamber and if all is safe, go enjoy it! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.