Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Had a pair of the older Nikon Superior E's in 7X35. Beautiful view but the end caps were plastic and as noted they were not water proofed at all. Fine for birding in good weather but not rough and ready hunting use.

Had several different pairs of Swarovski SL series, those were the Swaro porros and they were great. Pretty weird looking and kind of heavy but great porros.

Burris (probably actually Pentax) made a Fullfield porro model in the 90's that was waterproof and armored. The 7X35 model was an excellent buy in a good, really useful hunting binocular for just over $200. I carried one of those for a couple of years and wish I still had it. The 10X50 version of the same model didn't have good enough glass to support that much power, but the 7X35's were great.

Got a set of Swaro Traditional 6X30's that are supposed to be waterproof and they go with me everywhere. Have a Leica 8X40 and an 8X32 but they are heavier and the view from the Swaro is wider with huge depth of focus.

Swaro Military models (if they still make them) are an excellent buy in a waterproof, armored porro.

With phase coating roofs will give you resolution as good as porros in a smaller package (not that much smaller, but still smaller) but I still prefer porros.

Jim:
You are right, the premium Nikon porros are very good. The 7x35 you had was the original Nikon E, the Birdwatcher. The Nikon SE series, was and is still available in the 8x32, 10x42 and 12x50. They are still being made, but in small quantities,
and available at some of the internet merchants.

These are fully rubber armored, well aclaimed as having optics to match anything available, even today. Great value and a good choice for those who want the very best.

I have had all of the SE's and the 8x32 SE is the one binocular that I own, that I will always keep.