Originally Posted by skwerlkiller
In general, you can buy wheel weight lead already smelted into ingots for about $1 per pound shipped. The last time I purchased some I bought a 50/50 mix of wheel weight/soft lead for $54 for fifty pounds shipped and that was only a few weeks ago.
The best place I have found for decent lead prices is the classifieds on Cast Boolits web site. (I hope nobody gets mad for the referral to another site) Sometimes I'll see raw wheel weights for the same price, but I see no need to buy those when I can buy it already in ingots for the same price. That saves me time and propane money.
If you know someone with a tire shop you might get them free. Another good source is asking friends if they know someone with a tire shop. I have gotten hundreds of pounds of free wheel weights from both of those sources.
I also have a friend who gets hundreds of pounds of free wheel weights but has no place to smelt them due to his small children who are curious. Looks like I'll get some of that in return for smelting and cleaning it for him.
For soft lead, I've been collecting all the car battery cable terminals I can get from mechanics. (The ends on the CABLE, not the actual battery.) I don't get a lot, but in the course of a year, I probably get enough to make my 50/50 WW/soft lead hunting bullets. I just use straight wheel weights for the rest of my bullets.
Hope some of that helps, BAB

\

will try some of those cable ends. Are they pretty soft? BTW that rabbit you missed by a hair(hare) was cheap. Haven't shot a deer with those .357 yet but still trying. BG