Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I like all the posts that mention availability of ammo. That's one of those things that I've always laughed at. I've never known anyone who went hunting and either forgot or lost their bullets and had to go buy replacements in some small town.

Laugh at ME then.

A few years back, I moved to a new home four states away, shortly before a planned out of state hunt.

In the inevitable confusion associated with moving, I couldn't locate my 7mm-08 handloads when I looked for them to check the zero on my rifle shortly before leaving on the hunt. No-go. Even less chance of getting all of my reloading stuff unpacked, organized, and running, to load more. eek

Off to the local gun shop in a one light town to grab something from the shelf. On their recommendation, I bought some Federal Fusions, checked my zero (and again after arriving at the hunting location), then proceeded to drive one through a nice mule deer.

Equal to being in Africa minus ammo? No. But I was sure glad to get my hands on some good ammo and have a successful hunt.

Do I choose my rifles based on that? Not really, or I'd probably have nothing but a 30-06 to be safe. blush But it can be a factor for some guys, running some obscure chambering.