Originally Posted by Big_Bullseye
Can the 257 wby be just as accurate as say the 25-06 and if so what is the best factory rifle to buy this caliber in? The mark V only offers a 1.5" gurantee and in this day and age of modern rifles that just doesn't cut it. So what gives?

Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The accuracy guarantee is a stock rifle, with FACTORY fodder.

Find out what Remington, Ruger, Winchester, etc., say is "good enough" for their rifles and the same... (hint: pie-plate @ 100 ish).

1.5" @ 100 with factory fodder, in a stock rifle, has a nasty habit of leading to FAR better with decent handloads and a tweaked trigger.

If I'm not mistaken, that 1 & 1/2 inch group is the worst that Weatherby guarantees from the factory and thats with factory ammo. Most are well under that 1 & 1/2 inch guaranteed maximum.

I have a 1995 Weatherby Mark V Weathermark in .257 Weatherby. It's one of the near to last Mark V's manufacured in Japan with the weathermark tupperware stock without the fancy high comb the Weatherbys are noted for. Here is the test target that came with the rifle from the factory, 3 shot group with factory ammo and I measured it with my caliper at .584 so I think 1 & 1/2 inches is the worst that leaves the factory.

[Linked Image]

I know an inch & 1/2 is not average, as I have 3 of those Weathermark Mark V's from Japan, the 257, a 270 Weatherby magnum and a 30-06 and the worst of the 3 factory targets with factory ammo still measures just a hair under an inch.

Last edited by Wink_man; 02/08/11.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people