Originally Posted by Flinch

Another good comparison would be 175 grain 7mm bullets of like construction pitted against 180 grain .30 caliber bullets of same construction and velocity. I can't see any difference in either. It is all based on personal preference and the feel good factor. I like the 7mm bullets better, based purely on better BC's and better sectional density, but that is just my preference. The bullet is what kills, not the case it was fired out of. Flinch

True enough, but here is the part you are not considering. The larger .308 bore will burn the powder charge more efficiently and while a 7 Rem. Mag ought to normally produce around 2800 fps with a 175gr. bullet, a 300 Win. Mag. will normally produce around 3,000 fps with a 180gr. bullet. I don't know how much of an advantage it is to have a larger diameter, slightly heavier and slightly faster bullet, but the .308, under the conditions I outlined above, is more "powerful" (no matter how you choose to measure "powerful) and that extra bullet diameter matters, but I dont know how much and niether does anyone else.