Originally Posted by TheProRifle
I have looked through a couple of peep sights and while I haven't tried them they appear less precise to me. Am I missing something? Would a peep only be an improvement over a regular notch sight if it was mounted further toward the eye?

Thanks for your help.

-=tpr=-

TPR,

Yes, peep, or aperture sights are more precise. Some of us, as we age, suffer from astigmatism and that will cause issues with aperture sights.

I have both factory open sights and Lyman aperture sights on my lever rifles.

The aperture sights not only allow a quicker sight picture, but can also give a more precise sight picture.

You are correct in your assessment that an aperture sight placed closer to the eye would be an improvement over an open sight farther away. Take a look at the Scheutzen rifles for example. Those setups can post some impressive groups at 200yds, groups that a lot of folks would like to get at 100yds.

For me, a lever action rifle such as the Win '94 requires a different approach at the bench than a typical bolt rifle. Forearm pressure will play havoc with groups.

In my .30-30 I am happy with 1 1/2-2" groups at 100yds with the factory sights.

Just my $0.02

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell