Hello Savage 284:
Right you are Sir.. Too many jump on the "MAGNUM" kick. They see Magnum after a caliber and figure it is better without even looking at the ballistics first. The .284 Is so close to the 7 MM magnum that they are almost one. I also believe Heavy advertisment sell's a caliber and Remington along with other's have done this for year's. Another fine caliber that was washed out so to speak was the .30 Rem. I have this one in and old Remington Model 14 Pump Rifle. It was run off by the famous Winchester offering 30-30 which still prevail's today. It is a known fact that one can hand load a .30 Rem to much greater speed and pressures than the 30-30 can offer.Another interesting thing is all the old Remington model 14's had a case head installed in the side of the receiver. At first I thought it may be to alert the shooter of the caliber he had but later found out it is a gas release port to keep the over pressure of a round from destroying the receiver. I backed the load down a bit after seeing a small amount of white flash out the primer hole when firing.. L.O.L. Regards, thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..